We aim to ensure that all pupils develop:
- fluency in reading.
- confidence to speak with good intonation and pronunciation.
- fluency and imagination in writing.
- a strong awareness of the culture of the countries where the language is spoken.
- a passion for languages and a commitment to the subject.
- the ability to use language creatively and spontaneously.
- an independence in their studies and the ability to draw upon a wide range of resources.
- Our Spanish curriculum is designed to progressively develop pupils’ skills in learning a language, through regular taught lessons.
- Pupils develop, use and apply a growing bank of vocabulary organised around topics. They are encouraged and supported to develop their speaking and listening skills through conversational work, singing activities and games. As confidence and skill grows, pupils record their work on their iPads through pictures, captions, sentences, recording of voice and video.
- The use of iLanguages supports pupils to understand and respond to spoken and written language from a variety of authentic sources.
- Pupils are provided with opportunities to develop their confidence, fluency and spontaneity. They find ways of communicating what they want to say, including through discussion and asking questions, whilst continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation.
- Planned written tasks allow pupils to write at varying length, for different purposes and audiences, using the variety of grammatical structures that they have learnt. They also discover and develop an appreciation of a range of writing in the language studied.
- During and/after lessons, pupils are assessed through informal assessment techniques: questioning, conferencing, reviewing written work against learning objective/success criteria, short retrieval activities, flashbacks.
- At the end of a unit, we expect that the vast majority of pupils will have remembered and be fluent in their understanding of the “milestones.”
Milestone 1: Year 1/2; Milestone 2: Year 3/4; Milestone 3: Year 5/6
Please find available for download the Languages Primary National Curriculum.