We aim to ensure that all pupils develop:
- competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities.
- stamina for physical activities over periods of time.
- Engagement in competitive sports and activities.
- healthy, active lives.
- the ability to acquire new knowledge and skills exceptionally well and develop an in-depth understanding of PE.
- the willingness to practise skills in a wide range of different activities and situations, alone, in small groups and in teams and to apply these skills in chosen
- activities to achieve exceptionally high levels of performance.
- high levels of physical fitness.
- a healthy lifestyle, achieved by eating sensibly, avoiding smoking, drugs and alcohol and exercising regularly.
- the ability to remain physically active for sustained periods of time and an understanding of the importance of this in promoting long-term health and well-being.
- the ability to take the initiative and become excellent young leaders, organising and officiating, and evaluating what needs to be done to improve, and motivating and instilling excellent sporting attitudes in others.
- exceptional levels of originality, imagination and creativity in their techniques, tactics and choreography, knowledge of how to improve their own and others’
- performance and the ability to work independently for extended periods of time without the need of guidance or support.
- a keen interest in PE. A willingness to participate eagerly in every lesson, highly positive attitudes and the ability to make informed choices about engaging fully in extra-curricular sport.
- the ability to swim at least 25 metres before the end of Year 6 and knowledge of how to remain safe in and around water.
- Our PE programme incorporates a variety of sports to ensure all children develop the confidence, tolerance and the appreciation of their own, and others’, strengths and weaknesses.
- Pupils participate in twice weekly high-quality PE and sporting activities covering two different sports/skills per term.
- Teachers use and adapt the Enfield PE Schemes of Work to ensure lessons across years show progression.
- We provide opportunities for all children to engage in extra-curricular activities during and after school, in addition to competitive sporting events. This is an inclusive approach which endeavours to encourage not only physical development but also well-being.
- Children are encouraged to be competitive though intra and inter school sports events, as well as our annual sports day.
- Children attend swimming lessons in Year 3.
- During and/after lessons, pupils are assessed through informal assessment techniques: questioning, conferencing, reviewing written work against learning objective/success criteria, short retrieval activities, flashbacks.
- At the end of a unit, we expect that the vast majority of pupils will have remembered and be fluent in their understanding of the “milestones.”
Milestone 1: Year 1/2; Milestone 2: Year 3/4; Milestone 3: Year 5/6
Please find available for download the Physical Education Primary National Curriculum.