The overarching aim for English is to promote high standards of language and literacy by equipping pupils with a strong command of the spoken and written language, and to develop their love of literature through widespread reading for enjoyment.
We aim to ensure that all pupils:
- read easily, fluently and with good understanding
- develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information
- acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
- appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage
- write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
- use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas
- are competent in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate.
In Writing we aim to ensure that all pupils develop:
- the ability to write fluently and with interesting detail on a number of topics throughout the curriculum.
- a vivid imagination which makes readers engage with and enjoy their writing.
- a highly developed vocabulary and an excellent knowledge of writing techniques to extend details or description.
- well-organised and structured writing, which includes a variety of sentence structures.
- Excellent transcription skills that ensure their writing is well presented and punctuated, spelled correctly and neat.
- a love of writing and an appreciation of its educational, cultural and entertainment values.
In Reading we aim to ensure that all pupils develop:
- excellent phonic knowledge and skills.
- fluency and accuracy in reading across a wide range of contexts throughout the curriculum.
- knowledge of an extensive and rich vocabulary.
- an excellent comprehension of texts.
- the motivation to read for both study and for pleasure.
- extensive knowledge through having read a rich and varied range of texts.
In speaking and listening we aim to ensure that all pupils develop:
- an exceptional talent for listening attentively so as to understand what is being said.
- a rich and varied vocabulary that gives clarity and interest to conversations.
- clear speech that can be easily understood by a range of audiences.
- an excellent grasp of the rules used in English conversation, such as tenses and the grammatical structure of sentences.
- a highly developed ability to tell stories that capture the interest and imagination of the audience.
- a delight in initiating and joining in conversations.
- respect for others when communicating, even when views differ.
- We have a rigorous and well organised English curriculum that provides many purposeful opportunities for reading, writing and discussion. We use the EYFS Framework and the KS1 and KS2 National Curriculum to support planning.
- Where relevant, links are made to other curriculum areas.
- Pupils participate in daily English lessons throughout the school.
- Our Foundation Stage and KS1 pupils follow the Read Write Inc. Phonics programme. Please click here for more information.
- The Read Write Inc. programme is used as an intervention for pupils who need additional phonics support in KS2.
- We use a wide variety of quality texts and resources to motivate and inspire our pupils.
Please find available for download the English Primary National Curriculum.